Maybe Someday

Maybe someday she’ll love me as I do her

Maybe someday she’ll see the connection that I’ve always seen. The connection I’ve always felt pulling at my heartstrings. Then she’ll end up on my doorstep. With the rain pouring down with the wind blowing all around her body. With the windowing blowing her hair all around. With tears coming from her eyes. Maybe she’ll fall to her knees and beg for my forgiveness for not seeing it something sooner.

Maybe someday I’ll return home after doing all I can for society. And I’ll go to a bar, where I see her sitting at the bar all alone, drinking away her sorrows between fits of tears. I’ll seat myself beside her and she’ll tell me all about her recent divorce. Then I’ll buy her a drink and we’ll finally be sitting eye to eye.

Maybe someday I'll come across more wealth than one could ever dream of having. Then I’ll build an exquisite and elaborate castle for the world to see. At this fortress of mine will be held the grandest parties anyone has ever seen and hold open the door to anyone who’s willing to attend. Then maybe someday she’ll wander in, with a date or unattended and I’ll steal her away for a romantic air-balloon ride. With the two of us far above the rest of the world. I can keep her heart captive and never set it free.

Maybe someday a powerful dragon will lock her in his keep. So I’ll sail a ship across the sea just to rescue her, stopping along the way to fight terrifying creatures and sea monsters. I’ll reach the rocky shores and climb the jagged steep to reach the dragon’s keep. Where I’ll plunge a sacred dagger deep into his heart, rendering him harmless. Then I’ll go directly to her and unchain her from the lock on her heart.

Maybe someday the world will be on the brink of destruction. The only hope for humanity will be for just one man to journey to the center of the universe and bring back the beautiful and perfect woman trapped there. So I’ll volunteer to go. On the way, I’ll encounter many unfriendly aliens and be forced to travel through a black hole to find her. But I will. I will find her out there and rescue her from the lonely, hopeless reaches of space.

Maybe someday all the people on Earth will have died due to some unknown virus or at the hands of nuclear war. The two of us will be the only two people left alive. We’ll each wander aimlessly through the wastelands, searching for one another. Then from across a great valley, full of the corpses of our fallen brothers and sisters, we’ll catch the sight of another being. Then we’ll run around to reach the other. And as we get closer, we’ll notice who the other is. Then we'll embrace each other in an endless loving kiss.

Maybe someday, she’ll finally be mine.