Red and Gold, An Ode to Fall

Warmth seeps from the air                Breath is cold                Sharp, burning              Confusion of the senses                 Light              Gray and gold                Chiaroscuro                Endless dance                 Across this place                  And time                 Sunlight, golden warmth                 Alchemy of light                Transformation                 Of grass                  And leaves                  Gold-green, pure gold                   Darkest burgundy                   Pieces of the burning sky                    In the absence                   Of the sun                     Gray                 Cold and drowsy                  Eternal slumber                  Quiet gray of the morning                  Gray of shade and cloud                    Crescendo in the gray-black night                     Gray without gold                    Gray broken by                      The hard white                         Of the stars                       And the soft white                       Of the moon                     This is the time                         Of stillness                    Suspended in time                     Silent and solemn                    Much like kneeling                    Before the altar                 The inhaled breath                Before the final confession