The Red Hood

Her bloody red hood hid her face from the hungry onlookers of men. Hair the color of blazing fire hung past her shoulders and eyes the color of bark. She walked with her head cowered down as she entered the quaint antique shop. The antique shop colored with an array of browns and greys housed ancient objects of various size. Swords from eras of great kings, books of legends and dragons. But the girl with the red hood was gazing at the small flute that was on display. This flute was made entirely of glass with keys reflecting colors of darkness against the blue hue of glass. She knew she wanted this particular flute and bought it with a few gold coins from the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper couldn't see the girl because of her hood but he knew she was beautiful. He saw her fiery red hair, and blood red lips against her pale skin. He wasn't surprised for her to buy the flute for it was beautiful but also quite dangerous. Taking the money he didn't see the sinister smile the girl held under her red hood. So the girl walked out the antique shop towards her cottage that was at the edge of the woods, leaving the leering eyes of men in her wake. Arriving at her cottage, the girl saw her grandmother tending to her garden. Her grandmother was a frail old women with a hunched back and startling white hair. Her translucent blue eyes were wide and gave people the impression that she was indeed crazy. She gave her granddaughter a disapproving look when she saw her wearing the blood red hood, with an equally red dress that was a bit showy in the chest. Ignoring her grandmother critical stare, the girl went inside the cottage and into her room. As the hours ticked by the sky began to take reddish-black hue signaling that the moon was coming. The grandmother was sleeping but the girl was awake bursting with hungry energy. She went outside with her beautiful glass flute that was now reflecting colors of rosy flowers. As she stood a few feet from her cottage, the girl with red hood blew. The music that was pouring through the instrument was hunting beautiful, begging listeners to stay. In the distance sounds like an elephant stampede could be heard. The girls eyes began to turn grey like the stars in the sky. The girls smile curled showing teeth that resembled knives. She took a sniff just as the sun was beginning to set, with the orange light beginning to dance across the woods. It was almost time.