Riverbeds

Fri, 01/10/2014 - 20:52 -- EvanK21

As I fly above the earth, thousands of feet over the ground, I see a desert. In that desert, I see hundreds of dry, lifeless riverbeds scattered across that barren wasteland. It is then that I realize that I am one of these riverbeds. I share no physical characteristics with them; it is a deeper bond. Water once flowed abundantly through these riverbeds, bringing life to every part of the land that is now completely devoid of life. When the water stopped flowing, the land remained, but the beautiful and abundant life that once gathered to soak in the life that flowed through the veins of water is there no more. The riverbeds also remained, a scar that the land will forever bear, a memory of what once was, a scar that serves as a reminder that things will never be as good as they once were. In this way, I am nearly identical to these riverbeds. My life was once so full of happiness and joy because of the abundance of the water that flowed through me. Now, the source of that water has disappeared, and left my life barren, and without a single drop of true happiness. I live on, but I am not what I once was. I bear the scars of my past like a riverbed that once was filled with a cool, flowing river. Of course, when it rains enough, this riverbed may be filled again, but it is only temporary. When the rain ends, the riverbeds slowly dry once more. The key difference between the riverbeds and myself, is that it is not water that once flowed through me, it was love, and you were the source of it. You caused happiness to flow through my life so sweetly and tenderly. You were the source of everything I saw right in the world; my standard for love, but something changed... The source of the water disappeared without warning, and the riverbeds dried up. Now I am left like the desert. Without you, I am nothing. Nothing but a desert with deeply woven scars to remind me that I will never have what I once had.

Grant-Grey Porter Hawk Guda

Powerful expression. Always let poetry fill your life. Keep expressing your heart.