Scholarship 2018

Dear Disco,

An influence of rhythm and blues and parliament-funkadelic, I say you left us too early. In 1979, The Day Disco Died, they charcoaled your records and broiled your spherical lights. But I can still hear your whispers of “staying alive” and “I will survive”.

So I write this letter to encourage a comeback and boldness into the music scene. Funk still lingers in various forms and is accepted, so I propose disco can ease its way back in with just five simple steps.

1)      Appeal to Generation Z. Hipsters love retro and they will think it was their idea.

There’s a whole new generation of kids that have a craving for nostalgia memorabilia of 80s references, 90s fashion, 00s cartoons, and soon be 70s music. Some have dabbled in the idea by having Funk and Disco nights on low stream Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Brooklyn. But I say let’s go main stream into Friday Night Boogie Nights!

2)      Repetition does not make for good music.

Many of today’s radio hits are variations of the same songs and have no individuality, distinction, or pizazz.  Disco has its own beat, own rhythm, can vary as a slow or fast song, but also groovy to dance to. Like James Brown advises, all you can do is “get up, get on up”. Appeal on your individuality and let it lead the way.

3)      What’s the word, a word up.

Communication of ideas, opinions, thoughts, and music can be shared easily and at an alarmingly fast rate with emails, texts, and social media. Let the word of your come back simmer as a rumor before stomping your foot as here to stay on the music ground. Build a buzz around your return in the form of a unconfirmed rumors for a time period of many months to come. 

4)      Let groove tonight, share the spice of life.

Everyone wants to feel special. Pre confirmed rumors, make an event exclusive so that those who attend feel privileged to be there before allowing all the public to be part of the funkadelic mystery. 

5)      Inclusively.

Not only does this union apply to many instruments that are blended and fine-tuned together, but also for the audience experiencing this genre as more than just a song but a harmonious consensus where age, gender, and other socioeconomic factors do not apply to the dance. Post confirmed rumors let's "dance the night away"!

In short, I say let the funk of James Brown, the Soul of Aretha Franklin, the Disco of Earth Wind and Fire beam into our world as a new form of unity. This can become the new Disco Generation the world never knew it needed.

Sincerely,                                                                                  

A Fan of Music