Seasons

It's Summer.
And you are everywhere.

I see you
 on lazy afternoons by the log cabin, your sillhouete made visible by the specks of dust scattered and illluminated by golden sunshine pouring in through the window with lace curtains
.
I smell you 
in the sweaty changing rooms by the pool that's disinfected with way too much chlorine and way too many rowdy kids with floaties and life jackets on.

I taste you
 in the scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough, butter pecan and strawberry that are quickly melting and starting to make their way down the waffle cone I desperately craved for all afternoon.

I hear you 
amongst the laughter of kids dancing amongst the grass and sprinklers, soaking themselves in water and immersing themselves in bliss.

I feel you 
in the heat that come in steady waves, pulsating from the concrete sidewalks hot enough to cook a breakfast of eggs and bacon for two.
It was Summer.
And you,my darling, were everywhere.

It's Fall.
And you are everywhere.

I see you
 amongst the crisp leaves of orange, red and brown that crackle and crunch like bones under the weight of a truck beneath my leather boots.

I smell you
 in the chilly air just outside the coffee shop we go to every Saturday; the scent of nutmeg and caffeine and cinnamon trying to overpower each other much to the delight of its customers, myself included.

I taste you 
in the pumpkin pies, pumpkin sauce, pumpkin soup, pumpkin candy, pumpkin everything that your rosy cheeked grandmother prepared for us as we settled down on the overstuffed dinner tables.

I hear you 
in the crackling of the wood by the fireplace, dimly glowing embers and warm smoke making their way up the chimney and into the evening air outside this cozy place you call our home.

I feel you 
in the chilly wind that rustles in between beautiful dying foliage above and below me, lashing against my cheeks and leaving behind a trail of goosebumps, travelling up the cloaks of young trick-or-treaters in costume.
It was Fall.
And you,my darling, were everywhere.

It's Winter.
And you are everywhere.

I see you
 in the snowflakes slowly and steadily collecting on to the mittens I've had since high school and on to my eyelashes that you said made my already mesmerizing eyes even more mesmerizing (I didn't believe you of course).

I smell you
 in the marshmallow laden mugs of hot chocolate, the peppermint candy canes that stuff the oddly hung Christmas stocking laid out for my younger sister.

I taste you
 in the fruit cake soaked in rum and the Christmas dinner that we never forgot because it was the first and last one we ever had with your rosy cheeked grandmother before the angels took her away along with her pumpkin recipes which I will never get to know.

I hear you
 in the choirs singing Christmas carols outside people's doors at night, not minding the cold that could freeze anyone to their bone because the Holiday spirit and cheer was enough to warm them like Chicken soup on a sick day.

I feel you 
in the powder soft snow beneath as I made endless angels with my arms and legs as well as all these snowmen with charcoal eyes and carrot noses but no names.

It was Winter.
And you,my darling, were everywhere.

It's Spring.
And you are everywhere.

I see you
 in the flowers with petals yet to unfurl and herald in the new season with its many colors and hues attractive enough to lure in even the pickiest of bees and butterflies.

I smell you 
in the lush boquets all ligned up along the flower markets and tea bags that have just been dropped into white porcelain cups set on dainty table linens and pure white lace.

I taste you
in the blueberry jam and warm honey smothering the toast I might have burned a little bit on one side and in the pink lemonade made even mor refreshing with ice and crushed mint leaves as green as your eyes.

I hear you
 in the chirping of birds from their nest as they fill the silent void with their whistles and song, their tunes echoing within forests fortunate enough to be witnesses to their splendor.

I feel you
in the wheat that tickles my bare shoulders as I prance around the field in my white dress that you loved seeing me in because it revealed and concealed my skin in all the right places.

It was Spring.
And you, my darling, were everywhere.

Spring was gone.
Summer was close.
But then you decided we needed time off.

It's Summer again.
And you are still everywhere.
The sight of you.
The smell of you.
The taste of you.
The sound of you.
The feeling of you.
It still lingers.
All around.
It's Summer again.
And you were... 
And you still are...
 everywhere.