Survival

Survival 
In seventh grade bio, I learned about camouflage. Like all textbooks, chameleons, and tigers, and zebras lined up the pages to put faces to the definition.
Now that I'm older I realize that the creatures that camouflage the most aren't the ones in the book; they're the ones reading it. 
Survival 
Most people see camouflage as a weakness. An inability to stand out. Mantras with tones of individualism are chanted like an animal fending off an assailant. 
Survival 
In my eyes, society is a jungle where cutthroat is the only accurate description of competition and camouflage isn't a weakness but a survival mechanism. 
Survival 
The mask I wear is one that blends me into the background.
My predators can't see me and prey doesn't know I'm there. 
Survival 
Back in the shadows, my eyes remain locked on my prize. My stealthy body stalks silently, steady. 
Survival 
Outside I'm just a shadow but my whole being burns like a wildfire lighting up the horizon. 
Survival 
There are two kinds of people in this world, predator or prey, and I choose to be neither.
If you are seen as too strong or too weak society will break you down until vultures are feeding off the carcasses of your dreams. 
Survival 
I rise to the occasion without calling too much attention but I am seen when I am ready to pounce. When I think about the mask I wear only one word comes to mind. 
Survival.