Survival of the Flawless

Thu, 01/22/2015 - 22:24 -- sonia89

Flawless is a word, an adjective that describes something or someone that 

Does not have defects or faults, none that diminish the value of something

When I stand in front of the mirror, taking in all of my features-- the good, the bad, and the ugly

It takes a while for me to convince myself that I am beautiful and lovely

The mean, cruel hearted children of my past broke my soul and made me believe that I was nothing

For years I believed that only girls who were stick thin and gorgeous could become something

But I was wrong, wrong, wrong

I realized that I don't have to be a Barbie doll or a mannequin to be someone amazing

I realized that, for a young woman, I have accomplished so many things that are worth praising

I have battled bullying and anxiety and yet here I am, standing tall--more importantly, alive

I am not a size 0, my hair is wild and wavy, my nose is too big and wonky but I still survive

Every day is a battle with confidence and self-esteem but I am still learning to love myself

I am learning that I am stronger than a herd of oxen and I shouldn't hide myself on a shelf

I am no Beyonce nor am I an Angelina Jolie 

These ladies may be lovely but that doesn't mean that I should think any less of me

I am flawless because I have flaws but am courageous enough to believe that I am flawless

For the rest of my life, I will only have me, myself, and I 

And I know in my heart that I am flawless and can kiss those dark thoughts good-bye