They Said We Said

Land of the free , They sayBut are we ? They say Be who you want to be We say But we are not from your country They sayPlea.For you are guilty ,They say,“You are illegal” They say,“What are you to me ?” They sayWhite cotton teeThey say Made in the land of the freeThey say Fresh from the factory We say Made by the hands with the same roots as me We saySomeone who belongs in my family tree They sayBorn on the wrong side of the rio We say Goodbye to the man we call our tio  They say “Landscapers”They say“Get your papers”We sayWe will caterThey say“We’ll help you later” We say Although you try Our culture will not taper They sayIllegal immigrant We sayWe are not differentFor we are equivalent So no need to call your militant We sayWe are not ambivalentNo need for imprisonmentOr to be belligerentWe say In your country we are more than a participant We are magnificent We sayWe are Mexican