A Time Travel Reflection

Dear Little Madi,

Yes, you, in the blond pigtails, with the missing front teeth. Don’t worry, I’m not a stranger, I’m the most familiar (and confusing) person you’ll ever know: I’m you. My apologies, I’m afraid I’m getting way ahead of myself. You see, Madi, I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’m from the future. Well, your future anyways. And I’m here to tell you a great and scary secret that I hope you’ll take close to heart, knowing that this secret has taken me many years to discover for my [and your] self. Alright here it goes:

You are enough.

You are enough.

You are enough.

(That’s it, that’s the secret.)

You’re enough when you make mistakes, when you don’t wear the proper clothing, when your curious mind challenges the adults in charge around you: You. Are. Enough.

I know you can’t see it now, but someday soon, your world will change. The matriarch who grips your life with an iron fist will be proven wrong, and your spirit will one day be liberated.

There will be no more scrubbing the hard floor with blistered fingers. No more lonely walks around the street under the heavy eye of her, no more Scripture verses beaten into your brain, and most of all, there will be no more of her.

…

I won’t lie to you; it will be rough. A daughter loves her mother unconditionally, even if the reverse isn’t true. Despite all she has done, she will always be your mother, and that won’t ever change. And yet, young one, the changes that do happen will all be for the better.

Your body will stretch out like a string bean, braces will straighten out that gap between your front teeth, and you’ll soon find that even though all these years will pass, long after you’re far too old to run through the sprinklers in that iridescent fairy dress, you’ll still be the same little girl.

Keep your curious mind, it will prove to the world that you are worth more than she could have ever bargained for. I’m glad you can’t believe the teachings of her church, the world is full of beautiful and compassionate people of all religions, there’s no need to sentence them to a lifetime of condemnation for not believing her viewpoint.

All in all, Madi, little mermaid of the sea: you are not alone. She may have been a part of your journey, but she is most certainly not at the end.

Your life is just beginning.

There’s a whole world out there waiting just for you. 

Go get ‘em, Tiger.

Much love,

MJ