The Trap

Sun, 05/19/2013 - 22:48 -- RoyceW

23227

Young men keep street corners company, impressionable young women keep those young men warm.
No promise of a home is intended, desperate for opportunity they implode.
Twisted words from radio waves say AKs are the only way to get out.
The Trap isnt only physical, it's mental, deep dark and black, filled with doubt.
Kids shackled to a narrow point of view, get money, curse load, be cool.
I've been to those places, my friends and I went to that school.
We may have been tigers but in cages is where we sat,
for life never felt so lonesome when your stuck in The Trap.
I feel the ignorance is blemishes on the face of our existances, no one has the medicine to clear it all up.
Shes a freshman with a baby bump.
He has a scholarship but what good will that do, since young boy can't stop doing what he swore he'd never do.
The Trap can be beat, one must forgive and forget, it's harder than you think, carry on with legs limp.
I pray Black Boys Fly and White Men can jump, maybe then we all can hover.
Whit and Black keys are used to play the Star Spangled Banner, together we make music so beautiful we're bound to love each other.
We can represent the small voice of the muted disputed uprooted students who been through it.
It being pain, it being hate, it being rain, it being slate.
White is a minority where I grew up so I felt the pressure of a mountanous wieght.
To make out of The Trap wasn't expected of me.
See I was suppose to fold. I was suppose to quit, I was suppose to break down and drowned in the mix.
I pushed away negativity with Herculean force, my verse today will pave the way for love, respect, remorse.
The Trap ain't gonna shut me up, The Trap won't hold me down, see I've prayed my whole life to make it out of this town.
My chance has come, my cries have rung through ears of near and far.
This young city kid has sprung The Trap, now watch him be a star.

RoyceW

I wrote this for the scholarhip I really need the money to go to ODU. This poem shows you who I am and and where I came from. I'm extremely blessed to have been able to seen so many things troughout my life and all the different point of view I have lived in.