Type Five

Wed, 09/04/2013 - 16:55 -- zleones

Amid  earth  and  Skye, 

I  view  the  world  from  between. 

Torn  by  reality. 

Fallen  like  the  Rain, 

Weight  directed  his  descent. 

He  remains  stagnant. 

True  to  the  Paige’s  worth, 

He  is  humbled  by  himself. 

A  man  of  our  words. 

Adrift  the  River, 

His  current  feeds  and  expels. 

Aimless  in  morality. 

Bonheur  lifts  night’s  veil, 

Her  smile  brings  enlightenment. 

Welcome  Abbot-­Kai. 

-­Zoe  Leones

zleones

Author's  Notes:  Poetry 

Type Five is a collection of five haikus that I have written to convey an insight as to how I have come to understand  the  nature  of  those  closest  to  me.  Beginning  with  the  title,  Type  Five  refers  to  the specific  personality  type  of  "The  Observer",  which  I  have  chosen  to  highlight  in  order  to  establish  the perspective  and  voice  from  which  the  poetry  speaks. The  title  is  implemented  to  elude  myself  as  the underlying  narrator  throughout  these  poems.  The  reason  behind  my  decision  do  so  is  due  to  the  fact  that I  am  the  oldest  of  six  children  in  my  family;  and  as  the  eldest,  I  constantly  perform  the  role  of  the overseer  -­  a  watchful  protector.  By  this  token,  it  became  logical  to  address  my  brothers  and  sister  as the  subjects  of  my  writing.  As  “The  Observer”,  though,  I  choose  to  begin  with  an  elemental  description of  myself  in  the  first  haiku,  before  I  progress to  assess  the  way  in  which  I  perceive  the  closest  of  family members.  I  place  myself  as  an  active  being  of  two  existences  -­  the  real  world  and  the  dream  world. I attend  to  the  reality of  day-­to-­day  life  by  maintaining  imaginative  thoughts  of  a  more  ideal  world  -­  a better  world.  This  obscure  view  may  seem  as  if  I  wish  to  live  in  denial  of  the  imperfection  that  surrounds me,  but  in  fact  it  has  only  bolstered my  acceptance of it  through  the  notion  that  there  is  always  room  for improvement.  In  the  second  haiku,  I  discuss  the  challenging  nature  of  a  brother  who  is  seeks to condemn more  so  than forgive.  He  is  immovable  and  resolute  in  his  resolve,  and  as  a  result  he  is  stalled in  a  position  where  he  fails  to  recognize  that  if  he  simply  decided  to  let  go  of  emotional  grief  and loathing,  then  the  burdening  gravity  of  his  circumstantial  relationships  with  others  would  dissipate  and allow  him  relief,  both  from  and  by  those who care for him.The  third  haiku  emphasizes  the  thoughtful  nature  of a brother who  is  never  in  refrain  from  assisting  others  unconditionally. His  kindness  and  generosity  transcends  the norm,  and  serves  to  exemplify  his  humility.  The  fourth  haiku  addresses  the  open  nature  of  a  brother  who reveres  those  older  than  himself,  and  consequently  imitates  what  he  learns  from  them.  His  receptiveness renders  him  as  ahead  of  his  time,  but  may  come  to  skew  his  innocence  and  individuality. The  fifth  and final  haiku  hails  of  the  warming  nature  of  a  sister  whose  genuine  joy  and  gentleness  creates  a  welcoming and  loving  environment  for  those  who  have  the  pleasure  to  bask  in  her  presence.  The  poem  ends  with an  inviting  tone  towards  a  brother  who, recently,  has  become  the  newest  member  of  our  family.  He  is the  “Abbot-­Kai”,  or  “Seed  of  the  Father”,  and  will  come  to  grow  as  such  -­  in  time.