Unacquainted

Her name was Unacquainted.

She was only 5 years old, for she was unacquainted with the world around her -- reality. She had a permertant smile laying upon her face and loved making her parents laugh.

Her name was Unacquainted, for she could not understand why her mother was constantly crying, pleading to God for a better path. She was clueless to the sight of her father being arrested, her grandmother in tears, her younger brother being hidden under the bed,her older sister refusing to leave the bathroom, and flashbacks of gunshots traveling in and out of her head.

Her name was Unacquainted.She had no understanding as to why she was being questioned from strangers, in and out of courtrooms, and unfamiliar faces trying to decide where she and her siblings should live.

Her name is Unacquainted.

At the age of 10, she finally came to the conclusion that she will never see, touch, hear, or smell her father again, for he will be in jail until he dies.

By the age of 13, she was depressed, always wondering if she could have did something to avoid that childhood nightmare.

By the age of 16,  she was told that her father is in jail for attempted manslaughter for 4 people and 1 count of aggarvated rape.

Her name is Wise.

Seeing her mother and step-father struggle to pay bills, she got a job and became more active in school and her community. By the end of her high school career, she was cheerleading captain, National Honor Society Vice President, a student council member, a member in Leadership, President of the senior class and an officer worker.

Her name is Change.

She works two part-time jobs, while being a fulltime student at Loyola University New Orleans. Her mother and father works overtime everyday to afford both, her older sister and her own tuition.

Her name is Change because she wants to be a family lawyer, making sure innocent children are in custody their loving parent, giving them the chance to have a better future.