A Woman's Poem

Sun, 08/02/2015 - 23:06 -- hbark06

I am a woman. 

Do not expect me to be submissive to your commands.

Do not look at me as if I am dependent, because I work hard every day to create a bright future for myself.

Do not define me as unintelligent, because I have spent countless hours indulging in new information. 

Do not label me as an emotional wreck because I care about the past, the present, and the future. 

Do not think that I cannot be more than receptive, because I am a leader, and a damn good one. 

Do not call me weak, because I have been through a lot in my life and I am still standing.

Do not characterize me as timid, because I am brave enough to open my heart. 

Do not consider me content with where I am, because I have ambitions to fill the sky. 

Do not assume that I will be cooperative, because I was raised to be competitive. 

Do not deem me as home-oriented, because I would love to see the world with my own two eyes.

Do not pride yourself because you make more money than me statistically, because the world has so much more to offer than that, 

And I have so much more to offer to the world by being a woman.

I am a woman. 

Ask me how easy it is to stand up and take action. 

Ask me about my intuition, and how it, more often than not, leads me down the right path.

Ask me about my ability to create relationships, and build networks. 

Ask me for directions, but wait, you won’t because you are too headstrong. 

Ask me what it takes to stand out in a crowd that is stereotyped as being homeward. 

Celebrate with me, the differences that women have made, such as Marie Curie, and Clara Barton. 

Marvell with me over the positions in society that women hold today. 

Ask me about how honored I am to be following in the footsteps of my mother, and grandmother, and so many other generations. 

Ask me about the many obstacles I have overcome and cannot wait to face. 

Ask me what I love about being me, and I’ll proudly say, 

“I am a woman, and that is awesome.”