To write, "THANK YOU MOM" on my graduation cap

Los Angeles

Course oatmeal-colored fabric lays idly by, snipped from it a two yard segment stretched across the carpet, its corners tugged to sharp angles. Black-as-night ink pens are scattered haphazardly, jumbled stacks of books vie for space on the already crowded table- another day in college.

Perhaps the hours of concentrated labor aren’t thrilling, nor is the price tag, but the fact that I am able to pursue a course of high education is as exciting as the first day I set my eyes on the long process of pursuing fashion design as my major.

And the one person I wouldn’t have been able to gallivant blindly after my dreams without is my mom.

My mom is awesome.

If you were to imagine what a completely, utterly beautiful and selfless soul looks like- you would find my favorite photo of her, a small black and white 80’s passport photograph; permed hair, striped shirt, and a million watt smile.

My mom has supported me on my path from the moment I was born, through my ups and down, devastating losses, and giddy moments of sidesplitting laughter, traumatic occurrences, and quiet moments of sipping coffee together.

My mom is my rock, my constant. From the moment I could hold a crayon to squiggle on our new kitchen table, all the way through high school, I had unwavering support and confidence to go after my passion, and for that I am unimaginably blessed, and thankful. My mom is my best friend, and confidant, my partner-in-crime and morning power-walking partner. To be a parent is to have a child, but to be solid force of love, commitment, advice, and sacrifice is what my mom embodies to my brothers and I, so much more that a simple parent…

And that is awesome.

I plan to use my high education to make the world a better place, as my mom has done, to help both the environment, and surrounding community a better place through sustainable garments; a task that couldn’t be undertaken without a true understanding of what it means to be supported so you can support something you care about.

So thank you mom, for being awesome, and for being you- because without you, I wouldn’t be. 

Love, Neji