American Dream

75006

Throughout history, the concept of "The American Dream" has been an endeavor whose realization has been sought by generations, testified to from the fallen souls that whisper through Arlington Cemetery to the single, hardworking trader who envisions a life for his family in the home of the brave. It is a concept passionately illustrated in the smiles of youth as they race off into the first day of school, eager for what awaits them within the academic incubators of their future. It is a gift steadfastly upheld in the governmental chambers that reside across the country, a beacon whose spirit reigns in the mighty torch of Lady Liberty as she stands watch over the seas. Above all, it is a dream attainable only by the optimistic few who dare to travel a peril-fraught journey to fulfill one of mankind's great promises.
Central to the American Dream lies the responsible individual. We all possess a unique gift within ourselves; a priceless ability to contribute something great towards our country. Therefore, it is only fitting that we hold ourselves accountable to discovering that potential and bringing it to maturity.The title of an American citizen often strikes a chord with few in that with it comes freedom as a tangible endeavor far beyond the grasp of many global peers. Here in this great country, we hold the liberty to live as we please, to worship as we choose, and to shape our destinies as we imagine. We boast perhaps the consummate freedom of speech: the prospect that as one people, embraced by a common culture of diversity, we are able to voice personal struggles as well as vital interests of the wider population, so that together we may create a more prosperous country equipped for modernity. As Americans, we understand speech is not merely the ability to express feelings and emotions, it is in fact a profound strength that can establish foundations for the nation that our children will invariably inherit and expand as their ingenuity permits.
Perhaps no alternate representation exists of the power among coordinated minds that the freedom of the American people to assemble. Here, we gain insight into the intellect of humanity as well as a nation truly distinct in its culture. As President Lincoln once said, "We are not enemies, but friends. Though passion has strained, it must not weaken our bonds of affection." Since that moment onward into the first decade of the 21st century, we witness such provisions echoed in the camaraderie of Americans who share a common purpose, from intense rallies advocating a specific cause to vast, celebrative parades that ornament city streets with jubilance. In such instances, we see the spirit of America at work: joining hands to promote the best of an ethnically diverse yet morally united community, for we know that united, there is little we cannot achieve, no valley we cannot navigate, and no purpose we cannot fulfill.
As a foreign resident of the United States, I am perhaps at an intellectual lack for the scope of prosperity offered by this country and even more deprived in a legitimate conception of the "American Dream." However, despite my personal backgrounds I nevertheless feel no detachment from the benefits exposed by American culture. I am instead aware that it is precisely my being in this country that was spun a life story likely impossible anywhere else in the world. As a student, I am blessed with the gift of education to empower and enrich the mind so that a world of hope awaits beyond the walls of academic institutions. As a child of divorced parents whom will never know the pain of loss due to personal greed and selfishness, I learned the message that one must know to carry forward, that true prosperity need not depend upon the backbones of family but rather demands the innate will of the individual to perceive horizons far greater than himself. As the musician I aspire to be and the citizen of the world I surely will be, I hold the privilege to share my passion for the arts with an ever-expanding stage of cultures and to build upon the wisdom to rightly serve my country. As a human being, I resonate with the undying belief that all things are possible, that if one has the imagination and subsequent courage to pursue, America remains the pre-eminent aura in which to bring those aspects to fruition.
As heirs and future determinants of the American Dream and of this nation, we must acknowledge our primary role as citizens of the country we know and love. Since the earliest years of America's existence, our founding fathers - prevalent in the midst of revolution and conflict - at a time that President Obama described in which "only hope and virtue could survive," established the spirit of determination that so universally defines the American character today. The basis on which our forbearers embodied citizenship is a journey we continue in the present era as we expand its message across America and whose legacy has inspired the world.
To fully cherish the scope of the American Dream, we must live in its aura. Each individual possesses some medium through which to exhibit his or her pride of citizenship. As teachers, citizenship shines through the conviction to inspire students to learn, which in turn reflects in the motivation of young minds to explore and discover - aspects which may later conceive of even greater things for the community and aid in interpreting the forces which shape humanity. With that comes renewed knowledge in realizing how such factors may be enhanced to prepare for a new age, years from now. As community workers and public servants, citizenship emanates in numerous shades: from the donor, who extends a handful of food to feed the hungry child, to the heroic fireman, who storms through avalanches of debris intent on saving an uncertain life. As a civilian sitting in a conference room heated with debate, citizenship stirs the courage to initiate a call for change, which in turn initiates more voices for change. If one room can change, then a community can change. And if one room can change a community, then a community can change a district. And if a community can change a district, then a district can change a city. And if a district can change a city, then a city can change a state. And if a city can change a state, then a state can change a nation. And if a state can change a nation, then that nation can change the world.
When the Declaration of Independence was established some 220 years ago, among its opening lines was the statement that "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that we are endowed by certain and unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Indeed, some two-and-a-quarter centuries after those immortal words were inscribed into the pillars of history, America continues to serve as a global representative of democratic power at its grandest.
To be granted a fulfilling life is one endeavor; the promise that we can cirtually shape that fulfilling life is quite another and is a bold journey to undertake. However, as Americans, we accept that nothing ever worth achieving was easy, nor would a journey of shortcuts and expressways ever lead to the fruit of what we can produce. Given our liberties, there is no reason why we shouldn't aspire to make the most of our lives nor lower our perspectives as to the horizons that can be navigated. Regardless of individual necessities, the invaluable rights with which we are endowed should inevitably propel our instincts in seeking the fullest measure of our happiness.
The promise of the "American Dream" remains a beacon of spirit - to commemorate those who traveled through the ages in promoting its voice, to reflect upon those who died for its glory, to inspire those who remain diligent in its cause - and its story continues to fascinate the generations that pursue its grandeur. As much as we have been blessed in every era, from the revolutionary turmoil of America's infancy to the historic election of its first African-American commander-in-chief, the Dream remains a young endeavor, paralleled only by the sands of time that have fueled its course. Though the ultimate culmination of American culture may not occur in the next month, the next century, or perhaps even the next millenium, the spirit of America resonating within each willing heart is in itself an endeavor worthy of our utmost regards and enthusiasm, for no other culture exposes more translucently the immortal eulogy of the American Dream: an inspiration to those who dare to imagine, and an odyssey to those who dare to seek it.