Fear of a dream

Thu, 07/03/2014 - 20:14 -- gonzg51

Myths and legends are secret truths hidden behind magic and shadows. Myths sing of a distant land where beasts freely roam and feast upon the innocent. Legends whisper of a place where babies are cooked alive, and the fallen twists the minds of mortal men. Their tales speak of lands filled with nightmares and oceans of monsters. They foreshadow darkness, while screaming for a hero.

In a world filled with chaos, heros are never born, they are forged in the fires of living hells. In their days they will know nothing but triumph, and sorrow. Great feats will be conquered only to fall short of grace. Families will shrivel away, while beggars only grow more hands.

Heroic deeds would be revered by the thousands, as stories reached the borders of the lawless. Strengths, gifted by Gods did nothing but riddle the mind and poison the heart. Days dwindled like grains of sand passing through an hourglass, as tragedies warrant all merit.  

Ancients poisoned the minds of hopeful youth. They said, fear the Gods and fear the hells awaiting all after such journeys. They encouraged fear over bravery. Such words, plagued the dreams of courageous men, while the brave were left with haunting shadows of who they could have been.

Courage, can grows like a hunger, but when spoiled dreams fill the bellies of the courageous, demons are born in the hearts of men. So, these cursed men each took their chances against the world, like the heroes of old. However, none ever made the journey home, and the men, gifted by Gods, fell from the age of myth and legend.