Hunger In Your Eyes

I am afraid of the deer at nighthiding and leaping out in front of the carI am happy when the sun appearsOnly seeing deer in the distance thenI slightly miss when we only had four feetNot four wheelsI remember going into the woods with you thenI took you to my favorite tree to climbOnly becauseI saw hunger in your eyes An outdoor cat bored of the familiar spaces indoorsYes, I loved you always.We saw a deer that day in the woodsI smiled and ran to itTo minimize the distanceand I know you watched me do itYour creature, I became named And I know you liked me that dayWhen I tried to make you fullThe deer ran awayDespite my desireTaking with it my hope To feel the fur on its backI was never really able to escape the constant space, between the deer and meOr fill your hunger consistently And I suppose I lost all hope chasing deer in the woods for youNever quite close enough To touch Or satisfy Down a twisted dark roadSo fast we goAs I sit afraid of the deer