The Little Mermaid

Because I was the youngest of my sisters, I always thought that I would be the last one to wed. Aquata and Andrina were already married. I'm sure my other sisters had suitors that I just didn't know about. I always thought I would be the last one to wed until I fell in love. I've always been attracted to power; I think that's what drew me in. What was going to make me stay though, I did not know. I wasn't even sure my love would be reciprocated. Andrina always told me to play hard to get. Afterall, that is how she found her husband.

I never felt the same way as my girl friends did about the merboys we went to school with. It never really occurred to me that they could be cute. They were just boys. I knew that was how it was supposed to be though. Boy meets girl. They fall in love. They get married. They have children. That’s how my parents did it and that’s how my sisters are doing it and that’s how everyone around me does it. It just doesn’t feel right. It never has. I can’t even think about a crush I’ve ever had on a boy. But, when my friends talked about the way they felt about their crushes, I almost felt the same way about one or two of my friends. I knew it couldn’t be a crush though because that wasn’t right.

So here I am, turning 16, never had a boyfriend let alone a crush on one, hoping that it’s because I haven’t met the right merman.

“Because it’s a rite of passage, Ariel.” Attina loved when she got to see the surface for the first time. “I mean, it helps you realize what you have down here. The humans? They’re a mess.”

“I know. I just don’t see the point.”

“It doesn’t matter.” I jump. I did not even know that my father had entered the room. “You are turning 16, you must see what is above you. All your sisters did, as did all of the kingdom.”

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I weren’t the youngest of a million sisters. My curls will never amount to the way Aquata’s float around her like it’s their job. My song could never carry its weight when it’s standing up against Alana’s.

“They all went because they wanted to. Besides, I’ve heard the stories. It doesn’t even seem to compare to home.” I truly do not want to see the human world. The sun dances across my ceiling as the waves crash above me. The salty water keeps my skin looking young and my hair feeling soft. Plus, music carries much better in the water. That’s all I want, really. To make music for all to hear. But I know that it is not up to me. My father has already made up his mind. It’s been a rule for at least the past millennium.

So I head up to the surface. The eve of my sixteenth birthday is when I will feel the wind that pushes the sea push back my hair and let the hot sun that seeps through the water seep into my skin.

It’s colder than I expect it. It’s clearly spring. The tall plants that grow along the shoreline are turning a beautiful shade of green, one I have never known under the surface. The ind pushes and pulls on the plants and they dance in return. The castle that everyone seems to be in awe with stands proudly on the coast but their stories have not done it justice.

The palace itself stands on a brick pedestal with gold embellished columns shooting up past any other building that surrounds it in the kingdom. The windows are taller than the large plants that line the sand and are decorated with the most beautiful, vivid pictures of love, religion, and royalty. My eyes can’t take all of it in because it has filled my heart. I cannot consume anymore of its majesty. It’s fit for a king.

I’ve never wished I had legs but I wish I did now so I can walk on the sand and into the palace that gives life to the village.  

It’s obvious that this is the castle. If the extravagance of it hadn’t given it away, the people who have just exited have given it away. A large clan of men, all riding large animals and all dressed in red uniforms, surround the king, or more likely, the prince. He is a striking being. Clearly tall, even though he is sitting on one of these animals as well. His ebony hair gently touches his shoulders, leading down to his strong build. His eyes are what catches me though. Even from the long distance I am at, I can see that his eyes are more enamoring that the seas that I have inhabited for my whole life. I’m not sure if he sees me but it doesn’t matter; it’s time for me to go back to the sands below.

When I get back to my own palace, I head straight to the throne room where I will report my sights on the surface. I’m entranced with the beauty that has stained my eyelids. I see everything in living color whenever I blink. I can’t wait to tell my father that my sisters were wrong; there is beauty up there, they just may not have seen it.

At once though, I know that I am interrupting something of great importance as my father never invites the “sea witch” the the castle. She has been exiled to the edges of the kingdom since I’ve been alive and no doubt much longer than that.

I’ve only ever heard stories about her. She is beautiful; she knows she is beautiful. Some would call her a siren, others would call her a demon. Whatever her title, she is breathtaking. Her milky pink skin is draped over her curves like the waves crashing on the horizon. Her hair is whiter than the ocean floor but when it hits the light just right, a bluish purple tint shows itself. Pearly. Her hair is pearly. The most attention-drawing detail about her though is the bottom half of her. No one knows why she is the way she is but she does not have a tail. In its place, she has tentacles like a squid. They are long and slender and they dance around her as she argues with my father.

My father. He looks furious. But then he notices me hiding in the threshold. He immediately regains composure and sends the sea witch on her way. She glares at me with eyes so blue they are almost black and smirks as she swims away.

“Ariel. I did not expect you home so soon.” He combs through his beard anxiously, trying to find the right words to say to me.

“Oh, Father.” I twirl around in the water. “It was more beautiful up there than I could have ever imagined. What I would give to see it one more time. I underestimated its magnificence.”

He belly laughs and his eyes squint at the corners like they have since I was a child. “I had a feeling you would like it. You have the eye of an artist. But you know you must never return to the surface.”

I nod and fold my hands, looking down at the necklace I was given as a child. All merfolk are given the enchanted piece of jewelry. It locks you to the sea. Once you go to the surface, you may never return. It was ignorant of me to expect anything less from my father. He is the king. He must abide by and enforce the rules, even with his youngest daughter. “Of course. May I go?” He nods once and sends me out just as he had the sea witch.

She is the only thing that consumes my thoughts that night. The rumors might be true. She might be able to break that spell. She could help me see the surface again. Maybe even walk on the sand. She is a witch, of course. And maybe she would want to see it too.

In the morning, I comb my fingers through my hair and decide to find the witch for myself. She is on the edge of the kingdom is a cave all to herself. I know I can locate her through local maps and books. People want you to know where she is so you know where not to go, I guess.

It’s not as long of a swim as I anticipated because before I realize, I am floating right in front of the opening of her cave. I can see her swimming back and forth, tidying up her area; cleaning her cauldron, picking up empty bottles, things of the sort. She really is magnificent.

“Come in, sweetheart.” The sudden dialogue startles me. I slowly make my way through the seaweed draped from the ceiling, trying not to get my tail caught on the stalagmites. I meet her eyes in the center of the room and a million bubbles pop in rapid succession in my stomach. I swallow hard and offer a smile. She offers me her hand and we sit down.

“What brings you to my corner of the sea my darling? Your father would not be all too happy with you coming out here to see me all alone.” She smiles like she’s remembering something that happened a long time ago and I wonder how old she is. Her laugh fills my heart with fire, threatening to color my cheeks. “We are sworn enemies, after all.”

I hadn’t exactly thought this far ahead. Her looks had called me here but I didn’t know what I was to say to her.

“I want to see the surface again.” I spit out. She doesn’t look surprised at all. “Actually, I want to experience the surface. All on my own. I want to walk and feel sand between my – my – foot fingers?” I hesitate, scanning my internal dictionary. “Toes! I want to feel sand between my toes. I know you can help me.”

“It’s the boy, isn’t it?” I shoot her a surprised expression. “Love does strange things. I will allow you to walk the lands that have entrapped you for one day. If you do not return by sunset, I will take you away. You will stay with me forever.”

My heart is racing and my thoughts are going in a hundred different directions.

“You will have to pay me though.” Her stare gives her plans away. “I want your hair.” I must look surprised because that happy noise she makes escapes her throat again. “I want to cut your hair and use it. It’s quite useful for my potions, especially locks of the royal family.” There is a silence that I’m not sure I should fill. “I am running out of your mother’s hair.”

I don’t look at her. I don’t give her the satisfaction. I know she’s lying. Despite the rumors, that is not why my father and her have a feud. I do not believe she took my mother’s life, let alone her hair.

“Fine. Where are the clippers? Take my hair. Let me see the surface.”

The sun is setting now. Oranges change to pinks change to lavenders and the colors bounce across the water. It is more beautiful than the perspective I have grown to know from down below. The entire time I was walking the beach, seeing the village up close, I could not get the witch out of my head. I knew she had the power to watch anyone she cast a spell on, and sometimes even ones that she hadn’t. But was she really watching me? Seeing if I had fallen in love like she predicted I would? I hope she is watching me. That she knows I am watching the sunset, not returning to the underworld on purpose.

Once the stars begin to shine and the moon casts its reflection into the sea, I step into the water. My tail reappears and the water lures me back to her cave. She is waiting.

“I was wondering if I would have to beckon you back to me. Here.” She waves her hand in my direction and my hair grows back as fast as I cut it. “You know the deal, give me your necklace, I own you.” A smile spreads across my face and I nod, unclasping my necklace.

I drop the jewelry in her hands and sign myself over. But she does not seem as pleased as I am. “The thing about me taking your soul forever is you are supposed to be upset.”

“Don’t you see? This is what I wanted.” I gesture around her cavern. She glances away from me and then pulls me back to the seat I rested in 24 hours ago.

“You are just as beautiful as your mother, but you should know that you cannot be with me. It’s the same lesson your mother had to learn.” My eyes widen. I turn to face her all the way.
“What?” She nods, but does not say anything. She places the necklace back on my neck and sends me away.

I will never forget my first love.