Love. For Real.

When we climb off that pedestal that we so often erect in our honor...

When we pause to consider the convictions of those around us even when they conflict with our own...

When we decline to hide the ugly truths in our hearts in hopes of maintaining a deified facade...

When we learn once and for all that no matter where we're from, we can't get to where we're going alone...

When we insist that what hurts one of us, hurts us all...

When we finally accept that hate is not a race thing, but an unholy thing...

When we do these, we cease to objectify the very thing meant to save souls and invoke hope. We cease to settle for journeys riddled with the hustles and bustles of "doing" love. Instead, we embark on the ultimate quest to love, for real.

jwiener

This is an interesting love poem because rather than be about a particular person, it is about the steps we all take to find love and what happens after, helping to make this poem very relatable. My favorite line is "When we decline to hide the ugly truths in our hearts in hopes of maintaining a deified facade" because this speaks to the idea that when we love someone we are unafraid to be our true selves around them.

SassyRed

Well, once more you are spot on! Sometimes, we're so busy trying to get others to love or like us that we lose our truths along the way. And ultimately, it becomes less about loving someone and more about getting what we want for ourselves.

Thanks so much for responding.