My Language

Thu, 06/20/2013 - 14:21 -- Harlyn

Yo soy hispano

I am Hispanic

My words are fragmented and discolored when spoken

Raised as a heterogeneous mix of America and Guatemala

Mis palabras se mezclan tan profundamente

Accents are heard in both English and Spanish

Speech therapies and language tools could not subjugate my mispronunciations

Presentations and speeches only exemplify my accents

I interchange mis palabras, causing confusion para otros

Yo trabajo to persuade my tongue to pronounce cada syllable

Through my speech I am easily identified as gringo

I long to be accepted into mi raza

Through my speech I fail to express my thoughts in English

A veces solo encuentro las palabras en espanol

Tone, hand gestures, facial expressions and volume shatter this dilemma

My hands tell my story

My face shows my plight

My voice conveys significance

Poetry allows my words to be spoken as they are, not as others want

I tell my story through my broken, mixed language that is mine and mine alone

The stage is where you can hear my true voice

Some may not understand my words, but they feel my emotions

Poetry is where my passion and sentiments are pervaded into the minds of my audience

Mis palabras son strong y relucientes when recited

COMPLETE ENGLISH VERSION

I am Hispanic

I am Hispanic

My words are so profoundly mixed

Accents are heard in both English and Spanish

I interchange my words, causing confusion for others

I work to persuade my tongue to pronounce each syllable

I long to be accepted into my race

A times I only find the words in Spanish

My hands tell my story

My face shows my plight

My voice conveys significance

My words are strong and radiant when recited

Harlyn

My poem is a mix between English and Spanish to show the trouble I encounter with communicating my ideas in either language. Below the original is a completely english version.

erica.maurice

I really enjoyed your poem. The Oringinal definently speaks more about you then the complete enghlish version. 

14reynso

Wow. You poem is amazing. I can definately relate to it because I'm Hispanic so I go through that as well. You're a talented writer. Keep writing some more!

destinystar

muy bien hermano ! bueno suerte amigo 

Somar

What is there to say but that this poem is totally amazing, profound and awesome?

mikaila006

Very we'll written. Love the mix of Spanish and English! Glad you won the scholarship. Keep writing!!

-Mikaila

Vexflame

Congrats!! You definetly  earned this "W". You opened apart of my heart and mind to understand others that may be in your position but not have writing as a gift to communicate with the world.

Kaelyn

well written :)

Me gusta mucho

JDoubleU

I could feel that one. Especially after I listened to you recite it.

caliloufab

i loved your piece very touching and honest.

Harlyn

Thank you and Muchas Gracias. I've said this many times over and I will continue to state it; it is incredible to imagine my poem, my work has had an impact of you guys. It was hard for me to actually share this poem but, now seeing the impact it has had, I am overjoyed I did. Thank you everyone for your amazing comments and I encourage you guys, if you haven't yet, to explore this topic yourselves.

Dignified Voice

I think you are very talented. Very beautiful poem.

Mafi Grey

I can see why you won, because ours words aren't measured by quantity and quality; but the passion that is granted by our understanding of one another. Yet I could say that my words are the tigger to my pressure and when it releases it exposes my mind's creation. Yet then again I wouldn't really be touching the surface of my understanding, because words are meant to be in the surrounding of others to make a difference; instead of being in somebody's old dusty journal. 

vanessa101

I feel like you spoke for many others, you definitely gave those people who are in the same situation as you, a voice, with these words, i can relate, thank you.  * thumbs up *

Jessi D

Spanish is such an amazing language!! I love how you incorperated it into this poem. There was alot of heart put into it. Keep it up, I want to read more.

smooth_harmony

Passionate and eloquently worded. Your mind is beautiful and filled with creative links. What you wrote was brilliant. Snaps all around. Great piece.

gonzalol3

Beautiful, dude. Well done. Im hispanic too, who has an accent in both English and Spanish alike. This truly expresses the feel of this state.

Mrs. Miguel

This truly speaks to me OMG AMAZING im Guatemalan too!

secretsleftbehind

*snaps* to you Harlyn! I really enjoyed your piece, I can definitely relate. You know it's hard sometimes, but we all learn how to handle it and use it to build who we are. :)

whoiskidkheprii

You inspired me. You inspire me. You're inspiration. That was so good that writing about it And attempting to express, to CONVEY how good it was. Is almost an injustice. oooh damn, that was so good.

hlambach

Loved it! I am a Brazilian/American, and though I speak both languages fluently, when I speak with my friends, it's all mixed and meshed. No one understands us. :) haha We're just special like that. 

mariaVsolorio

This is an amazing poem. Being a spanish speaker myself, i can really relate to this poem. It is alwasy an amazing, uplifting experiance when we find someone that shares our struggles, or our intrests, or our inspiratioin. Congrats on your creativity!

K. Noelle

I love you, man. Ohmygosh. I'm just here like staring at the screen... And I also don't care how long ago this was, and how many times you've read comments just like mine, but you're amazing. 

samiamehbub17

It is good to see that you embrace your culture and use it as a weapon! Awesome.

EAdkins

this is literally one of the best things i've ever read, and that encompasses every styleof writing. you definitely deserved this.

AdeolaBolu

Very profound, well written sir.

Delaney_rose

I like this a lot, it speaks volumes. It's always easier to express yourself through verse rather than spoken word.

Celestyna

Que cheverre! Y verdad, las palabras speak for themselves

gabytobias17

Espero que te este llendo bien! Impresionante tu poema. Esa es la historia de muchos hipanos que estan lejos de su tierra! Suerte!

speckx

Thank you Harlyn, That was beautiful!