My Story

Thu, 07/07/2016 - 00:48 -- hbunot

I am from dancing in my tube socks, from white sheets and bright lights.
I am from the heart of the ghetto in Detroit, Michigan as I clutch my arms like stairway railings, where the city air is so thick and opaque.
I am from the dandelions, the four-leaf clover to close my eyes and making a wish.

I am from Dia De Los Muertos as the dead shall be remembered for eternity and artistic abilities where art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth,
From Raquel Dereyes and Carlos Trujillo and believing mother is god in the eyes of the child.

I am from the tendency to argue because all people do is let me down. I’m tired of being so sad but trying to forget should be easier and the tendency to help others; but, I always find myself comforting people with the words I want to hear.
From “I don’t love you” the words that are etched into my soul like a permanent memory and “Your dad said he doesn’t want you” I don’t know what’s worse: drowning beneath the waves or dying from emptiness.

I am from being Catholic where the bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, where it forces you to think it’s a choice allowing me to believe I don’t belong on this earth, and feeling out of place.

I'm from Ogden, Utah, as I look around I see blue skies, butterflies for us. Closing my eyes but keep my mind wide open as I listen to the sound and lose it. There is beauty in this world.  I’ll hold onto this lullaby, even when the music’s gone.
From fried chicken and tamales. When my world is falling apart when there’s no, light to break up the dark that’s when I look back at these moments cause no matter what these are the moments I’m gonna remember most.

From searching for something that I can’t reach as I fell asleep with visions of myself dancing and laughing.
From praying every night that I’d find my people where we have nothing to lose, nothing to gain, and nothing we desired anymore.
I am from Paper Towns, the town that was paper, but memories are not.

I am from Belle Isle Park where I drowned myself in my daily cup of tea while I tutted my heels and strutted my feet. Seeing everybody in short skirts, short and shades.
From the state fair going round and round like a horse on a carousel as the area is encompassed in a bubble of warm, fragrant steam from funnel cake fryers.