Practice What You Preach: An Essay I Wrote

In a nation deemed free, prosecution still reigns on a day to day basis. The “right” bash the “wrong” and the high continue to rise, while the low still fall.  Equality is preached, and yet its practice slips through the cracks of our country’s foundation day after day. The lack of acceptance and surplus of bullying in America perplexes those who choose to acknowledge the facts.

It stands to be said that those who are different, are not. They are just as human as any other being, and deserve the same respect. Skin color is just a melatonin level, and a sexual preference is just a choice. Style is just an emotional reflection, and being handicapped does not limit a person’s life value. Those who believe any different are the people who enable bullying.

Phrases such as, “Go kill yourself!” are powerful enough themselves to incite action, or place doubt in a person’s mind. The pain people inflict upon others is laughed off like a comical pastime, and the wounds they leave never heal. Those words bury themselves deep in the mind’s subconscious, and roar their ugly heads only when the esteem of their host gets a little too high.

Bystanders watch on as their fellow man gets beaten down emotionally, as well as physically. Some pretend as though nothing has happened. It remains unfathomable how they do nothing to stop the collapsing soul in front of them, even when they are given every opportunity. If only someone would make a stand against the injustice, then maybe, just maybe, our nation would learn acceptance and love.

Every single American must take part in opening their minds. They must learn to accept and love others, not only for their similarities, but also for their differences. The schools need more counselors, and the children need more outstanding role models. It may seem like a lost cause, but it is a cause that could save a life.

If bullying was banished, and real equality promoted, then suicide and depression would be at an all-time low. Selfless love and parity could fill the cracks in nation’s foundation and this cause would not be lost.  Even by only saving a single life, this cause would be a battle well fought.