Reasons I Cannot Fathom You Into a Poem- Spoken Word

1. I've literally spent like thirty minutes trying to think of a number one.

2. They say a picture's worth a thousand words so if I could, I would take all the photos I have of you, nail them to a wall and call it poetry.

3. This may sound weird, but I've thought about how I would describe you to a blind person. I'd say 'His eyes are the color of how freshly washed laundry smells. And his smile, I know you can't see it, but it looks a lot like the crunch of snow under your feet.' I'd say, 'You've never seen freckles before. But they pinprick his body and sometimes it seems like they spell out the rest of my life.

4. No. I haven't read an unabridged dictionary cover to cover so I've yet to encounter a word to properly sum you up.

5. The closest I've gotten is gravitational. My tendency to constantly fall in your direction is nearly scientific.

6. I've never been good with happy endings. Romeo and Juliet has always seemed more probable than riding off into a sunset. 

7. Let's ride off into a sunset.

8. Poetry is made generic, one size fits most, cookie-cutter.

9. I do not want our story to be generic or one size fits most or cookie-cutter. Yet here I am, forming your complexity into vagueness, condensing you into words that fit properly on the tip of my tongue.

10. You deserve so much more than that.

[audio here]

MVP-Most Valuable Poet

you live to write

you write to live

let your voice be heard

express yourself proudly-well done