Searching for God is Like Looking for Waldo

They say Gods in everything and so I’ve been looking everywhere but only catch glimpses of miracles; perhaps because I haven’t stared long enough at the marigolds or pondered the existence of the Walls of Jericho. They say God is in the trees and so I search for divinity in each bite of my morning apple. I imagine the mixture of these Godly juices and my mortal saliva to be a meeting between Heaven and Earth. My tongue is the gate way to achievement; the blender of deeds; a maker for memories and wash cloth for the unclean. My teeth represent the power of will, for nothing may enter these sacred grounds without their appeal. My throat is the dark path we must cross in order to find our purpose, and if we prove our value the Brain will allow us to contribute to certain circuits. They say heaven is like a circus because it’s the only place where the pious man’s wealth allows him to purchase— otherwise his life’s work would have proved worthless— and so I’ve been saving 10% of my income and energy: for buying the best stocks and donating time because if Life’s taught me one thing it’s to hedge my bets carefully. Searching for God is like looking for Waldo, for he too can be found on the pages of books because God’s form never changes… it is the context in which God is found. They say God is in the planes, but lives underground; they say he helped settle the Wild West and approved of 9/11; that he inspired Gandhi as well as the murdering of children who have not yet aged past seven. Yet they still differ in opinion on whether to leave His words the same or offer up corrections. They say God is in everything so His omnipresence must have been present in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Nazi camps, and Assad’s snipers that shot unborn babies.
They say God’s in everything and so I’ve been looking everywhere but only catch glimpses of miracles. Perhaps the biggest of them all is the freedom to choose between non-violence and bombs; tolerating genocide and not siding with terrorists; using the tongue as a tool for freedom in place of oppression and the eyes as a means of sincerity without any obsessions.
They say God’s in everything and so I’ve been looking everywhere but have only began to understand the miraculous world in which I live.

WhiteXFA

Wow! I really like this. It is true that people say God is everywhere but why does he not stop the killing of innocent people? Like you said, it may be because God gave us the freedom to choose between his way and the world's way.

thisispoetryproject

WhiteXFA,

Thanks for your input! :) I believe it is important for us to question what has been "given". Too often do we accept information without questioning it. The world is full of miracles if choose that perspective!

BobbyWWTK

Due to all that has happened and continues to happen in this wolrd, many continue to question the existence and presence of God.I know exactly where you're coming from. However, from my very own personal relationship with God, I can tell you how blessed and fortunate my life has been from the day I accepted Him as my Lord and Savior. So many things at the time do not have explanations, but God has a purpose. His purpose isn't always understood, but when someone chooses to seek Him, one's duty in this life becomes so much clearer. There is a living God. I don't mean to sound offensive in any way, but don't you think it's a bit unfair to judge the existence of God without yet making the sacrifice of seeking Him and trying to understand his greater purpose for your life? Maybe it isn't, but don't lose hope in trying to find God. He's here man. 

I think your style and selection of words was really good. It's a really good poem, even if we don't share similiar views. 

-Bobby

Upendi

That proves a very good point. I do believe that God is everywhere as well as do I believe He never changes. The analogies were amazing! Beautiful words. Thank you.