Uncensored truth for you,they,and us

a way 

to open the eyes of the blind

to reveal the truth behind

the lies 

the false whys 

blatanly publicized 

because maybe YOU will listen

maybe THEY will listen

maybe WE will listen

but maybe its too late 

YOU'RE making it YOUR fate

THEY'RE making it THEIR fate

WE'RE making it OUR fate

submisive to the system

dismissive to the truth

what is happening to YOUR youth,  THEIR youth, OUR youth ? 

raised by tv screens

deceived by entertainment

the industry, music with no message 

just to keep YOU,THEY,US in containment

content in material things

oblivious to the scheme of things

passivly giving up 

YOUR rights, THEIR rights, OUR rights

YOU can at least put up a fight

THEY can at least put up a fight

WE can at least put up a fight

what was once unalientable 

is now debatable 

right to life exchanged for the right to neglect responsiblity

belief of liberty is now the most common fallacy

pursuit of happiness must have Big Brother as a witness 

WE can come together and change this 

stop ignorance

from help paving way for this

oppression in progression 

RebeccaYSPerez

This piece is very strong and incredibly powerful. I like the fact that it is not just them and you; it is them, you, us. The fact that you are part of the unit as well can make people connect with you more than they would if you separated yourself. Strong piece, thank you so much for sending this in.

Becca.

castillejakatie

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on this. As I was writing it I was having difficulty choosing the pronouns to use . I first began with "they" referring to the masses but then I realized that I wanted to person who would be reading it to realize that they  are personally connected and apart of it also. So, then I substituted it for "you"but realized that if I used that it would be excluding myself. And I know that I am personally responsible for some of the things mentioned and I am apart of the country of people who were born in the land of the free and should do my part to perserve our freedoms. Then I tried to use "we" and realized it just wasn't strong enough. So then I decided to use all of them because I just couldnt decide on one. The result surprised me it brought forth a whole new meaning. So when I asked my sisters opinion and she said to keep it as only using "they" so that the scholarship commitee that will choose the winner will not feel offended, i just couldn't. The point of the poem is to be a uncensored truth for ALL not just some. So if it would offend the committee that is just the risk i have to take because I could not and would not take away the profound meaning in using all pronouns.  It's crazy how much of a difference the choice of pronous can make. Since the audience is essentially everyone in the land of the free you would think that "we" would have sufficed. But then the whole idea of it being towards YOU the reader, THEY the masses, and WE the nation coming together would have been left out. Again thank you for your comment it definitly reassured me that I made the right decision.