We Are The Wise

Fri, 10/04/2013 - 14:50 -- lmartiz

When a teacher ridicules a student, they call it discipline

When a student ridicules a student, they call it bullying

When a dean pulls a student by the neck to an office for wearing a non-school uniform sweater, they call it punishment

When a student grabs another student inappropriately, they call it harassment.

When a professor overworks their students, they call it improvement

When a boss overworks a child, they call it a crime

When a student suffers from anxiety and major depression, they call it "messed up".

When in reality these parallels make no sense, their defense is that we're naive

I refuse to believe that a student in need of extra help due to an eating disorder, self-harm, depression, makes them weak

In fact I say that a person who lays their heart and soul on the line and admits their hardships is strong

In fact I say that a person who may or may not wear the wrong sweater to school, should not be ridiculed for their want to keep warm

In fact I believe education has become so corrupt, and so injust that children and teens voices are no longer heard

Our age is how society measures our wisdom

Wisdom cannot be defined by our age but by our experiences

We take these experiences and grow, just like any other, just like any color, just like any brother, just like any sister, just like any mister, just like any ethnicity

This generation will not stop until we reach the top and are taken seriously

With every hashtag, new fad, post rag, price tag, good or bad

We get through the corruption

Don't say that my issues and age limit me or shrink me down to a size

Don't say that we have gone through nothing, we are the wise.