Why is it

"Why do we even have scholarships for minorities?"

You know, you're right

Why should I get a scholarship for being bullied for the size of my lips in the 3rd grade

Why when my dad has been pressed about his immigration status

Don't you dare try to play this off like it's some fad, some form of new to make fun of Mexicans, Hispanics, Latinos these days

Because it has always been with us from our past to our present

And no I will not be hesitant to speak out about this even though you're tired of hearing my opinion as a Latina woman

Tell me why is it I'm told I don't belong in a country people forget was founded on immigrants

Why is it

You can call me your fetish and yet at the same time tell me to crawl back across a wall

Agreeing with the ideals of a man who's sole purpose of his rhetoric is to spread hate that's so pure and genuine

The words "vote Trump" slice memories in my brain of my dad explaining to me that some people just don't like people like us

When I was younger I didn't see it as much, but now it seems to be attatched to my hip

Why is it

I can't seem to speak a language in public other then English without someone staring at me like it's a crime

Or without hearing a woman murmur to her husband like I'm a disgrace

"Lo siento mi cultura es importante para mi"

Sorry my culture is important to me

My father worked for his valedictorian status

And while I may not be at his ranking you can't deny things aren't harder for minorities

When sometimes you can't even get a job because someone believes your people are lazy

Trust me

All these things culminate ultimately into what makes me me

So yes, this isn't just some an election or about some colleges this is more widespread

And until you acknowledge that some parts of our society are still broken

You never will understand why we have thes"uneccesary"  scholarships for minorities