5TUD3NT

I am a student:
A quantifiable piece of data.
My value is measurable
By a cold series of letters and numbers.
4.3125 Weighted GPA
3.9375 Unweighted GPA
30 ACT
29 PLAN
136 IQ
69 G-Points
These numbers point to my future success
(So they tell me)
But confidence is not commensurate,
Feelings are not measurable,
Hope is not numeric,
And my dreams have no mass.
You cannot compute enthusiasm.
You cannot calculate perseverance.
There's not a formula for fortitude
Or an algorithm for attitude.
So then why is my ”best” 
Measured by a standardized test
That ignores the heartbeat in my chest
And the nights I spend with no rest?
I don't give a damn if you're impressed!
So if you really think that exam
Will tell you who really I am,
Than you take it.
Take it and shove it right up your
Applications process.
But, then again, what do I know?
I am just a student:
A quantifiable piece of data.

SarahLayden

I love it! It's what's inside that really counts. Letters on a piece of paper are forgotten when you die. Your face, actions, deeds, personality, and your love is what will be missed when you are gone. I love your poem, and love your title; that was creative!

SayuriHimeno

These words sound so sad, so opressed. 
They are the sound of an individual who has accepted their situation 
and decided to conform to it for the time being, despite their yearning to rebel. 
All in all, I enjoyed this read.

marysitz

Hey All. This is Mary--I work at Power Poetry. We've decided to delete the comments from Paolo_Munoz because they, quite simply, are abusive. 

If you have any questions, please contact our help desk: help@powerpoetry.org

BennyB

Of all the poems I've read on this site, this is by far my favorite. Such a passionate poem, love it so much 

pipenray

A m a z i n g. 

alice67878

This is amazing! I'm new to this site and this makes me all the more excited to read and write poetry!

iweirdo

This..... Wow. 

Queen Susan

I can completely relate with this. 

Talya Gordon

absolutely love it!! 

The_me_you_see

I can relate to that. You've got a spark. Go with it and see where it takes you. I'll keep reading. :)

lily in the trees

As someone who is currently applying for college and scholarships I can totally relate to this. I really like how you've written it with a high gpa and test scores, because it shows that even people who are "smart" and good at the tests and systems are frustrated by them.

kaevynmaple

I can really relate to this

TenaGordon

Woah! I legit just wrote a similar poem. I feel the same.

_pixie_

http://www.powerpoetry.org/poems/our-green-world

I love this piece. Your expressing what your feeling and that it the best thing you can do. 

californiapine

Love that bit of sarcasm at the end.

chelsiep515

Amazing. great flow!

jaggett98

wow this is by far one of the best poems ive read on here

akuzmanovic7

Wow. This piece is totally brill. Love the meaning as well as the diction, the structure, the alliteration. Even the name has a powerful connection to the meaning of the poem. Great job, PresidentLeahy! 

Elik

Nice :) I enjoyed reading something that probably every student can relate to. And it sucks, but your poem is good and made me inspired to start writing :] thanks. 

rentamuse

You have dotted the i's and crossed the t's, this is truelly what has taken over me

gdzenutis

wow. amazing. 

michella4598

Wow. Just wow.

samruss15

This absolutely amazing, I love every single line.

emannil2

Amazing choice of words.

Nerd Lady

http://www.powerpoetry.org/poems/un-blurred

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GO SHARE AND READ THIS, HELP YOUR GIRL GET INTO COLLEGE.  THANKS IN ADVANCE. 

cheeseisyumyum

This poem is prime! I love it's gutsy tone and I think it perfectly describes how a lot of students feel.

nikkinak319

i can totally relate to this, lovely poem (:

ammber_alert

Riggght! How does one measure feelings and hope b/c i believe the best things in life are unseen... But is anything as in our behaviors really unseen? These are things you can see just cant scientically measure it which doesnt make it any less important! YEES, Shove it up thier "Application Process!" Poem on FLEEK!

milnerk

I absolutely love this. The impersonal quality of standardized testing and rating by numbers in school is expressed so well, keep it up!

milnerk

Pages