Death of a Generation

Sun, 02/09/2014 - 02:07 -- m_a

My generation’s death will be by ignorance,

We will die hungry, selfish and with no innocence,

A world disconnected, we burn incense and mask the senses, to be blinded from a world that is being tormented.

We are addicted to consumption, guessing and assumption, we stand still and stay stuck and forget to function,

We are blinded to the outside world that is pained by corruption.

Generation of mine you are not deserving of my trust,

We share land with native blood, only they were here before us,

Mountains, rivers, canyons, we forget these things, they are simple, they are beautiful, they hold a special kind of lust.

What’s new today, between him, her and her, every secret and difference gives us a strange sort of stir,

We act like our problems are big problems but compared to genocide, they never really were.

We boast, we blab, we lie, we use words like a poisonous hand that wrings the heart and hangs it out to dry,

Cars, iphones, vacationing to Hawaii, while there’s a child across the globe who only wishes to not die.

Child soldiers, child slaves, child lives that we can’t save, so we close the curtain, we turn our backs and walk away, as the world lay tied to the train tracks and wastes away.

Guns, alcohol, cocaine possession, young women selling their bodies to survive the recession.

Pain, poisons, lack of respect and indiscretion, tie a noose around your neck to escape the depression.

Forget about books and retire to your nooks, every ad, every commercial, behind the bait, there’s a jagged hook.

Lie over lie, we seem to overlook,

Like the pilgrims who gave thanks to giving then took, took and took.

My generation, my friends, we will not find salvation, we have chosen again the wrong destination, we refuse integration, we ignore starvation, we made laws that prohibit immigration.

I’ve lost hope to ever see restoration, of our planet, global warming, no one cares about deforestation, or poverty and sickness of an entire third world nation.   

We will perish with no aspirations or rigor, with enough ice in our hearts to make the earth shiver, with pain and heavy burdens that make the ground quiver.  

Our ignorant hands withdrawing their weapons, without a single hesitation they will end a generation, with the flick of a wrist and the pull of a trigger.

If I could fix anything it would be the wrongful death of my generation,

I would pull back the old rug that’s been thrown over our nation,

We would all rise from the dust to pull each other out of this fixation, and the foundation of the world united would be our newest creation.    

bellamildew

My favorite poem I've read on Power Poetry so far. ( I am kind of new). But i liked the rhythm of it, it's very pretty and pleasant to read.