Elegy to Death

As darkness, approaches, sad and dreary Poor people mourn and are placed to rest and death surmounts in calmness We all question death, unaware of when it calls We dream of dying the same. The owl asks, “Whose next.” Death is a secret only God knows by choice Death is a trap of sleep that we won’t wake from We mourn, poor or rich, scared of what happens after we die Waiting our calling from a rooster, an echoing horn When a hearth plays, we die, but life continues. There is work To be done, yet, we honor his calling Things remain unchanged. Often after death, we fail To visit our dead When we die, people remember the good times you shared When we die, people remember the good times you shared When we die, we are not envied, and we celebrate death To be cremated is not as valued, to turn to ash and put on an urn We celebrate the rising of the death a funeral, but after we are buried, we forget the dead by not returning to the grave to honor those that went before us We neglect the dead repressed with rage and time is Life is beautiful and death is unseen. When we die our spirit dies Rich or poor we should be remembered to rest in peace Rich or poor we should be remembered to rest in peace Regardless, we are the virtuous, the criminals, the swines, the wealthy. God shows mercy on us all The hidden truth about death is hidden in guilt and shame of being judged to determine selfworth In death, our presence is taken for granted because we are judged The dead should plant their seeds to nurture and grow their memory The dead should not be a forgotten selfish love, but that of hope To grow in the image of mourning under a tree celebrated with others in green pastures of marked stones of hope When we die, our image is reborn into a repass and remembered as an old wise aged thorn of wealth And the holy ghost determines our fate into heaven We should plant our seeds so we will be remembered Because your image crosses over to love An your image will welcome others reinventing life After death. And you will be reborn as an old wise thorn