Hiding in summer

Summer was the place that I lived with you. A far off land of broken dreams and outcasts. We lived completely submerged in the false hallucination that things would always be the way they were. Only the sun could forsake us as it fell, and in the darkness we waited longingly for it to rise again so we could wander. Oblivious to the things around us we saw only what we were, not the beaten up strangers that others saw us as. It was make believe; a sick game we'd play to shut out the world. We didn't know that things would change, because each coming day we loved each other more. We didn't mean to ruin each others lives, we just wanted to make our own reality better. But the thing about dreams is that they are one step away from a nightmare, and when you live inside your head you're walking a fine line. One step away from delusional happiness, one step from falling; and how can you control that when you aren't in control? Summer ended along with our bliss and when reality hit, I hit the pavement. We didn't mean to drain the light from each others eyes, the color from each others world. What we thought we were fixing we were breaking...but we put up a wall to hide our eyes from the reality of what we were doing. We put on a show, a deep illusion that we slowly fell into, adjusting so well that it became our new home. Killing each other slowly but watching from afar as if it was someone else's story. We were just broken people who found each other as someone to take the world out on. We were just people hiding in summer.