I Never Knew

I never knew a sweeter smell than the Japanese cherry blossoms that announce your entrance

I never knew such a beautiful color than when the sun illuminates the cascading waterfall of your auburn hair

I never knew anything softer than velvet than when you hold my hand tight

I never knew someone smarter than Neil Degrasse Tyson then you talk, your words causing my mind to bloom

I never knew I was so funny till you laugh yourself breathless and blue at my pointless jokes

I never knew that I could waste my day away yapping on the phone, till the hours have slipped by like sand through my fingertips

I never knew that I could love to read but you showed me the way to paradise one word at a time

I never knew that music could sound so sweet and with such demise, till you showed me to listen with my heart

I never knew someone could love me even after all my vile secrets were laid upon a table

I never knew you would keep believing in me despite seeing the repellent darkness that took shelter in my mind

I never knew someone would be there for me as I let my life deteriorate into pieces time after time, till you were there to help me pick them up and put the pieces back together again

I never knew that I would be so afraid of you leaving me, the feeling leaving me a sailor lost at sea

I never knew that our time together is ticking by, our memories becoming eroded by the years

I never knew that I would hurt to see your bones grow brittle and watch as your body became submissive to life

I never knew that someday I would have to face the world without you, no longer my light there to guide me through the darkness

I never knew that you would show me not to let the world break me down and that the world is filled with vast dead ends but I’ll eventually find my holy grail

I never knew that I could love myself, but you taught me how and that we are not our skeletons in our closet

I never knew that I’d be ok but your wise words of reassurance leave me at ease and I am able to continue on my journey

I never knew that I could love someone as much as I love you.

I never knew that someday you’d be gone, but it’s ok.

I can now say I that I knew a grandmother like you.