I Want to See

When I look in the mirror I see whatever I think.

Words like sad come to mind and tug down at the side of my cheeks;

Words like pale come alive and I see my skin is a yellowish green;

Words like fat arise and I compare my limbs and find that they lack the right proportionality;

Words like ugly arrive and I can name a hundred more insecurities I keep;

Words like average come out from the inside, and I compare myself to who I want to see.

It's then that I realize that I don't want to see someone of uncanny perfection,

I want to see a brave and intelligent, motivated and generous, loving and selfless person who can smile at her own reflection.

I want to see someone who makes something out her life,

Who has a sense of direction.

I want to see someone who knows that being considered beautiful is a petty thing to be concerned with;

Someone who understands that to be considered a capable and kind human being is to be closest to perfect.

It is through these new eyes that the world regains the color that distaste had drained from its face.

It is here that we could focus on events in life that carry actual weight,

Where we accept the exterior of each human being because it wasn’t of their making,

And we love them instead for the organ lodged inside their ribs that hurtful words took to breaking.

I tore my eyes from the mirror years ago, and it didn’t take more than a second to see the world out there that I have yet to touch;

The endless knowledge and understanding to be reached,

so many dreams that should be brought out from behind dead eyes and onto a bright canvas with brush,

so many lessons that the galaxies can teach.

But instead of looking up, most people stay stuck staring at their reflections on the glass walls that keep them boxed in.

But I see the potential in every step they take to which rude remarks lay waste, and I think what a pity it is,

that we care so much about what encases or soul,

and we let pretty yet rotten apples sit on thrones of gold.

I am flawed in every choice I've made and every measurement done with tape,

But more importantly my eyes can see, that though our words are gross liars, some truth still remains:

in the eyes of another, it will reign true and these words will live,

their love for me will provide a better reflection of myself than any mirror ever did;

In that moment

I am flawless.