Shut

When I was a little girl, I used to keep my bedroom door wide open. Open for the whole world to see me playing with my dolls.

But as I became older I began to shut the door to my bedroom.

Five years old, wide open.

Eight years old, half shut.

Ten years old, almost closed.

Thirteen years old, latched shut.

And as I closed the door to my bedroom, I closed the door to myself.

And try as you might, you had to be very special to be let in.

And as the day grew on, my room grew darker as did myself. And as I sat there in the pitch black of my room I began to think.

Why is this door closed? Why do I shut everyone out not letting anyone in.  Why do I close myself off to the world not letting on how I feel about anything?

I told myself “this needs to change.” I need to let people in so that I can rid my soul of its darkness so I can let in more light.

I need to let in more magic and let the demons free. I need to show myself to the world before I become just a passing face. I don’t want to be stared at for having my head down and shoulders curled in, closing out the world. I want the world to look me in the eye and think, “Wow she’s strong.”

I need to open that door. And though it may take some time I know I can do it. I know you can do it.

Fourteen years old, cracked open.

Sixteen years old, halfway there. Eighteen years old, wide open.

We have made it to the light. And there we are staying.