Stand up for Life

Several years ago my mother told me a story about how my brother and I were born. My Mother was a teacher who came from North Carolina and my Father was a Pharmacist who came from Ghana to get an education in the U.S. When my Mother got pregnant my Father wouldn't marry her and after hearing this many of my aunts and uncles told her to get an abortion. Despite not wanting to have children out of wedlock, my Mother recognized that we were her children. This is why before I die; the practice of abortion will be as dead as slavery.

In school, whenever the issue of abortion was talked about, it was usually just called a “woman’s right to choose;” and the actual practice was not explained in class. A right is a sovereign universal act that does not require another individual’s permission because to do so would violate the freedom of an individual. To call abortion a right is to deny a child their right to Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness.

It’s interesting to note the similarities between the Roe vs. Wade decision and the Dredd Scott decision from the Supreme Court. In 1857 the Supreme Court once ruled that people of color weren’t people, but they were property and you could do with your property as you saw fit. In 1973 the Supreme Court ruled that unborn children were the property of their mothers and the mothers could do to their property as they saw fit. Like slavery, African Americans have been the largest group to suffer from abortion.

In our world there is war and strive across the Middle East, in the villages of Africa and on the Russian front, but we have a wildly unknown genocide at home. Since 1973 an estimated 55 million children have been murdered behind closed doors.  Every day since Roe, an average of 4,000 innocent babies are executed without warrant.

I fear if something is not done soon, our nation’s population will recede when we enter the 22nd century. Like slavery, the issue of abortion has been continuously delayed because of compromises. If there is another Civil War brewing, this is the issue that should be settled.