Boys Will Be Boys

Boys will be boys.

That’s something we seem to hear often. From young age to old days the adage follows.

But what about girls? Can’t girls just be girls?

No.

You never hear that phrase. All you ever hear is a rise in others voices against our own personal choices.

Take this outfit, for example. Now I know my chest is ample and I know guys aren’t looking at my eyes when I feel the glances in the street or in the hall.

But wait ‘cause that’s not all.

No.

I’m told to cover up because apparently, I’m revealing what males should not be seeing. Never mind of course that they see more than what I show in their own free time.

Apparently, I’m in the wrong because some guys aren’t strong enough to handle the scandal that is my body.

Hey! My eyes are up here honey.

Oh.

Wait.

I forgot.

I’m not supposed to get offended. If I don’t like it I’m just supposed to pretend that I do because lewd looks are compliments. Wolf whistles are heaven sent. Cat calls should have me falling to my knees saying, “Take me!”

Please.

I forgot sexual harassment was in fashion.

I forget though it’s not socially acceptable to rape and ravage, many men aren’t treated as savage.

No.

Because somehow it’s my fault. I’m the one to blame if someone’s crying out my name in ecstasy on top of me even if I don’t know their name.

Because I shouldn’t have taken my eyes off my drink. I should’ve fought back or told someone about the attack even though I was too high to be petrified.

But no one tells the boy how he should or shouldn’t act.

They just… let him go.

And his life gets to flow uninterrupted while my growth is stunted by labels.

Easy.

Slut.

Worthless.

Disgraceful.

Unstable.

But why not turn the tables?

What if girls were the ones able to look out at guys on the street, not as other people, no, but as toys for our amusement or as prizes to pursue or as something exotic and strange that we want even if just for one night?

(Hey handsome, come here often?)

I wonder how many of them would be willing to make that change.

If they did, they’d finally be the ones who get told “Lighten up! We’re just having a little fun.”

But until the day we realize that I guess things will just stay the same.

We’ll still cover up to try and avoid what won’t really stop.

They’ll keep going undeterred because they’re the ones in control, the ones on top.

Because boys will be boys.