I am Chicano and Proud! (Free Verse Poem)

As long as I can remember, my parents have been my role models. They have always had high expectations that molded me into the persistent worker that I am today. Living in a faith-based household helped me discover my identity and inspire me to become an educator. My parents never had the opportunity to walk across the stage. They decided it would be better to escape the corruptness and poverty in Mexico to seek grand opportunities elsewhere. Fortunately, I was able to visit the cracked cement walls, the worn-out cobblestone floors, and the patchy roof that would protect families of seven or more year-round. Street vendors sold everything at low prices because competition was so high, yet the smell of sizzling carne asada (grilled steak) and the steam that came out of a churro when bitten in the winter breeze covered the hardships in people's lives.I love where I come from, my heritage, my culture, and I want to share this through a career of education.Which is why I can’t thank enough my family for everything they’ve done to inspire me to pursue a higher education. I hope to inspire other children to be proud of theirs and to maintain their motivation to continue their education.